Welcome

I'm glad you're here and I hope you are enjoying yourself

Thursday, September 13, 2012

How I Like To Write

I'm learning who I am as a writer, which means learning how I like to write stories. I like to simply start writing. Sometimes I need a little bit of the story, but I find it hard to start from a story idea. I feel that first sentences provide their own prompts to keep the writer going. Sometimes you flow through the initial writing of the piece and other times you don't. I think in those other times that I'm too close to the actual memory. So, I need to back away and remember that I'm writing fiction, not non fiction, meaning that I can imagine the story and I should.

The other thing that I need to do is to figure out how to make myself known to readers. I'm here and I'm writing and I'm getting ready to submit my fiction on a continuous basis.


She jumped up and ran down the street.

To me this sentence is brimming with curiosity. Why did she jump and run down the street? Did she see something?

She jumped up and ran down the street. A man, holding a struggling, climbed in a black car and sped off. The engine had to be running since he took off so fast. It wasn't the scene of a child who was being disobedient. This girl looked generally afraid.

It could be something else.

She jumped and ran down the street. A tall man, whose hair was graying, was talking to her teacher. He wore his desert troop uniform. She hugged him from behind.
"Guess my little girl found us." He twisted so he could see her.

With the 11th anniversary of 9/11 behind us, what's your 9/11 short story? This week's prompt is to write your 9/11 story.

No comments:

Post a Comment